Saturday, July 28, 2007

15 Park Avenue - Movie Review


The combo of Aparna Sen and Konkona Sen creates Magic on the celluloid. Noone will deny that. Mr. and Mrs. Iyer is the best example. The mother and daughter duo is back with another(I won't call it an Art movie because there is no such thing as art cinema and regular cinema. There is just Good Cinema and Bad Cinema) special kind of movie. This time the ensemble cast has some great names like Shabana Azmi, Waheeda Rehman, Rahul Bose and Dhritiman Chaterjee.


Movie is about a Schezofrenic girl called Meethi, played by Konkona "Awesome" Sen. Movie is all about her relation with her sister Shabana, her impact on the lives of other "normal" people. Again this is not a movie for people who can't sit through a slow movie and here you will have to think from your end too.


This movie made me think a lot. There is lot of hidden philosophy in it. After watching it I had to go to IMDB and see what other people thought of it. And boy, everyone has their own theory.


Aparna Sen keeps it very surreal. As said by doctor in the movie "What we think is a delusion for others, may be a reality for them. The ending of the movie will create more questions in your mind.


Performance wise Konkona scores highest. She is one of the all time best actresses for Indian films. I just cant get enough of her. I wish to see more and more of her talent. Shabana also lives upto her name. Rahul is fine. Waheedaji has a smaller role and I am biased towards her. I can't be critical of her. Dhritiman Chaterjee as the doctor is very natural. Kanwaljit is also good.


Aparna Sen makes me proud. I can say she is from my country. And she makes such movies. She is one of the most talented director I have ever seen. I wish she keeps making more movies.


Chinmay's scale - ****

1 comment:

Neeraj Singhi said...

hey all your reviews have that different feel... your ratings are perfect... increase the list man...