Sunday, August 12, 2007

Eternal Movies - Ghayal


I thought of starting this new segment called Eternal Movies wherein I can write about those movies that I have seen I-dont-know-how-many-times but which i can see again and again. Yesterday I cought up with Ghayal for the umpteenth time. I remember the whole movie frame by frame, dialogue by dialogue but still no harm in seeing once more huh.

Ghayal gave Sunny Deol his first National Award. It gave us one of my all time favourite director Rajkumar Santoshi. Gave us a villain we can never forget - Balwant Rai. And i can never ever forget the background music of the movie. I am not aware if it is an original creation of Bappida or "Inspired" from some where. I dont care as it gives me the adrenaline rush everytime it is played.

Now if you think about it, Ghayal has a story which is done to death not only in Bollywood but everywhere in the world. A normal guy taking revenge on the bad guy because he killed his brother/sister/wife/bhabhi/father/mother etc etc. Then what makes Ghayal an eternal movie. What makes it different from the countless movies with the same story before it and after it. My take is it is the treatment of the movie by Raj Santoshi and a sparkling and awe-inspiring performance from Sunny paaji. Sunny debuted with a romantic movie Betaab(tell me about it) but his skills were recognized in Arjun and established because of Ghayal. Many directors tried repeating the success of Ghayal by roping in Sunny in a movie with the same kind of story line but never succeeded. What makes Ghayal different from all these movies then.

First there was a kind of void created in the filmi world for an action hero after the senior guys Dharamji and Amitji started getting old. Agreed that Amitji was the first angry young man of indian cinema but Sunny was an Angry+++ guy. Second the dialogues of the movie and the way they were delivered by Sunny are etched in our memories even today. Not many actors can try shouting their dialogues and get away without hamming. Sunny did that every time. Balwant Rai ke kutte is still famous among the junta. It showed us Sunny ka gussa which no movie had explored before.

All in all Ghayal will always remain an eternal movie for many years to come. Atleast to me!!!

No comments: